By: Cristina Trette and Jeff Everage
"Relationships are live things. They’re live moving organisms, and they’re like every other live thing. If you starve them of attention, and ignore them, and leave them on a shelf for years, then you turn around and try to pick them off the shelf, well, I’m sorry, but they’ve shriveled and died." ~ Dr. Sue Johnson
For many busy people, their love relationship gets put on the bottom of a long priority list. At Elevating Connection, we are on a mission to change this.
We know how easy it is to fall into work, kids, and endless commitments, leaving little time left over for your marriage. But life is too short to be in a ho hum marriage.
So we thought we would create a Show Your Love Challenge. The rules are simple. On a daily basis do something special and loving for, or with, your partner. It does not have to be grandiose, it does not need to take up a lot of time, but it does need to be intentional.
The idea is to create a daily habit of expressing your love through small and thoughtful actions - without expecting anything in return.
If you want to join our challenge, do the following:
1. Like our Facebook page by clicking here.
2. Download Spar and join our Show Your Love Challenge. Spar is a free app developed by Ryan Holiday that allows users to create and join challenges. It is a great way to get loads of support and encouragement for your goals. Click here to join. https://links.getspar.com/M75U
3. Start Showing Your Love! If you need ideas, keep reading.
14 Ways to Show Your Love
1. Write a letter to your partner that expresses your appreciation for all the positive ways they impact your life. Leave the letter on their pillow.
2. Plan a novel date. Think outside dinner, drinks or movies. Some suggestions are rock climbing, hiking, museum, live music, comedy, theatre, or a picnic in the park. Get a sitter, mark in your calendar, make sure you partner is available.
3. Go on that novel date that you planned (number 2).
4. Complete an errand or task for your partner that is normally their responsibility such as washing their car, going to the dry cleaners, filling up their gas tank, etc.
5. Get up a little earlier than usual and prepare your partner coffee, tea, or breakfast.
6. Take a walk holding hands.
7. Purchase or prepare and give your partner their favorite treat such as chocolate, wine, cookies. If they do not do treats then prepare their favorite meal.
8. Bring home and give your partner a bouquet of flowers or a plant.
9. Surprise them with a small gift.
10. Give a 20 minute massage (neck, back, feet, are all good choices).
11. Text a genuine compliment.
12. Grab your partner, look into their eyes, and lay on a long and passionate kiss.
13. Say or text something to your partner that indicates your sexual attraction to them.
14. Spend five minutes snuggling in bed.
Have fun with this and let us know how it goes! We would love to hear about all the ways, big and small, that you are showing your love.